Monday, May 16, 2022

Book Adaptation Tag || Who did it better book or movie?

Hello book friends! 

I wanted to make a fun post this time and I haven't done a tag in a long while so when I found this one I couldn't resist. I found it on The never-ending chronicles of Jawahir the bookworm so you can check it out there. So, here we go...


What is the last book adaptation movie you watched?

The last book adaptation I watched is "Bridgerton" - which by the way is adapted into a series, not a movie - and which is inspired by the "Bridgerton" books by Julia Quinn. I enjoyed the first season very much and I'm now watching the second season which is inspired by the second book in the series. However, I haven't read any of the books yet, so I can't form an opinion about them.


What book-to-movie adaptation are you most excited about?


This will definitely have to be "Dune" which, even though has been released for some time now, I have not watched yet and I'm very excited to watch it soon.

Which upcoming book movie will you definitely not see?

I don't have an answer for this one, both because I cannot think of a story I wouldn't care about enough to watch and because even if I did, I would still most probably give it a try since I really enjoy adaptations and I like to be able to form an opinion on them.


Which book movie would you never watch again?

That's easy... "Paper Towns" by John Green. I generally like John Green, but this book just wasn't for me and neither was the movie. If anything, it was even worse and I don't think I'm going to give either one of them a second try.


Is there a movie you saw that made you want to read the book if you had not yet?


This will have to be "The handmaid's tale". This one is also a series, not a movie and it's based on the iconic book of Margaret Atwood. I absolutely loved the TV series, it is among my favorites, and from the first moment I started watching it, it made me want to read the book as well. This book is so very much up my alley; it is dystopian, it talks about women, about freedom and politics, it is scary and its very concept makes your hair stand on edge. So, I will most definitely read it soon!


Conversely, is there a movie that made you never want to read the book?

I will have to say the "Percy Jackson" series by Rick Riordan. The first movie is not all that bad, even though I've had not the best comments about it and I know that it's not a very faithful adaptation, I still didn't hate it, I kind of enjoyed it. But I also had my issues with it and, by the end, I was sure I wasn't interested in reading the books, even though I have heard the best about them and I know they have a very big audience that loves them. Maybe it's because this series just wasn't for me, maybe it could be because I'm Greek and my idea of Greek-mythology-inspired stories is biased, or maybe I'm just a bit old for them... Whatever the reason, I don't really care about reading them.


Have you ever left the theater because the movie adaptation was so bad?

No, so far I have not left the theater because of a bad movie - adaptation or not.


Do you prefer to watch the movie first or read the book first?

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind at all, both are fine with me and I can enjoy either one equally for different reasons. But if I absolutely had to choose, I'd say that book first is probably the slightly preferable choice in most cases.


How do you feel about movie adaptations that age characters up? (ex. Characters that are in middle school, but in the movies, they’re all 18+)

It depends on the story, the movie, the actors, and the reason behind the choices. Usually, I prefer accurate adaptations and casting choices, but if there is a good reason I could understand it.


Do you get angry when the actors don’t look like you thought the characters would?

I can't say I get angry but I definitely feel disappointed. It is a little bit frustrating when the characters look nothing like the description. I don't mind small changes or small differences but when there is a big difference or if the detail that is changed is very crucial to the plot then I will get disappointed.


Is there a movie you liked better than its book?

There are actually a few movies I enjoyed more than the books. One of them is "The Fault in our Stars". The is a very good book and I loved it, but I think I enjoyed the movie a bit more. Still, both of them were great and are among my favorites! But, for me, I lean a bit more toward the movie.


Then there are "The Maze Runner" books. Again, I quite enjoyed the books I thought they were good but I like the movies even more and I think they did a very good job adapting the story. The movies are quite different from the books, especially the "Scorch Trials" and "Death Cure" movies, but I believe that the changes that were made were made for the better and only improved the story. The things that were cut or changed improved the story a great deal and made it more interesting, so, in the end, I enjoyed the movies much more than the books. 


Name a book that you would love to see as a movie.

The "Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" by Suzzanne Collins has come out recently and I am a huge fan of anything related to the "Hunger Games". I have read the original trilogy and I have watched the movie repeatedly and I absolutely love them all. Additionally, these adaptations are probably the most faithful book to movie adaptations, the attention with which they were made, and the work done with them was phenomenal. Naturally, I am eager to read this book as well and I hope it gets turned into a movie because I can't wait to watch it!


So, these were my answers, I hope you liked them and enjoyed this post. If you liked this tag, feel free to do it yourself and feel free to tag me or show them to me! You can also tell me your answers and opinions down in the comments, I'll be really interested to hear them and discuss them with you!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Rage", by Richard Bachman (Stephen King) || Book Review

"Rage" is one of the first of King's novels that was published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The book is apparently not...