Monday, September 4, 2023

The Last 3 Childrens' books that I Read || Reviews

Hello book friends!

I'm back with some more reviews of children's books. This time I'm going to give you a brief review of the last three children's books that I read with my son, hoping to help you pick the next read for your kids. So, without further ado, here we go...

  1.  "Stories From Around The World", by Heather Amery and Linda Edwards

    First, we have this big book that contains a collection of stories from many different parts of the world. More specifically, it shares 22 stories from the following locations: Australia, Persia, Greece, France, South America, New Zealand, Germany, Mexico, India, Scandinavia, Italy, Holland, Morocco, China, Chech Republic, Spain, Africa, Russia, Britain, North America, Japan, Cambodia. All the stories are unique in their own way, as they carry not only the myths and fairytales from various countries but also the essence of the cultures they came from, and part of their philosophy. The stories are interesting and they're painted in their own beautiful colors - literally and metaphorically. The stunning illustrations show beautifully the different origins of the stories and the variety of ideas and values that created them. Most of the stories contain a nice message at the end, and a moral conclusion, so they are educational as well as entertaining. This is a good, solid contribution to literature that develops cultural awareness. My son loved it and we both gave this book 5/5*.


  2. "Newton and Curie": The Science Squirrels", by Daniel Kirk

    Newton and his little sister, Curie are two adorable little squirrels that explore the world and learn new things about it. In this book, science is given in a simple way that is easy and enjoyable for kids to understand. The two squirrels are named - as you may have guessed - after scientists Sir Isaac Newton and Marie Curie. While I loved the premise and the idea behind the book, I wasn't too excited about how the two siblings were portrayed. While Newton (the older brother) is curious and actually interested in science and the mechanics behind it, Curie - his little sister - doesn't seem to care much about most of it, and instead, seems to only be interested in playing games and having fun. Not only is she not interested in much of it and doesn't get to do much as her older brother does, thus failing to live up to her namesake, but she also repeatedly dismisses her brother's interest in those things. I can't tell if she was portrayed like that because she is the little one, or because she's the girl. In any case, and even if it was done entirely unintentionally, I didn't like it, because not only it doesn't respond to the truth either way, but it also helps perpetuate wrong and harmful stereotypes. This was the main reason I could give this book the highest rating was 3/5*.


  3. "The Story of Space: A First Book About Our Universe": Catherine Barr, Steve Williams, Amy Husband

    This book was given to my son as a gift and I was excited for it from the moment I saw it. It talks about the universe and the creation of the earth and planets in a beautiful and simple way. The illustrations are stunning, I loved looking at the images and my son loved them as well. This book was both educational and entertaining and it's a book I'd definitely recommend and pick as a gift for young kids to help stir their interest and love for science. My son loved it and his rating was 5/5*. On the other hand, I thought it was more like a 4/5*.

Overall, my son and I both really enjoyed all three of these books, and we want to recommend them all to anyone else who might be interested. We would love to hear your opinions of these books if you have read any of them as well as your own book recommendations.




Until the next time,
Keep reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Rage", by Richard Bachman (Stephen King) || Book Review

"Rage" is one of the first of King's novels that was published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The book is apparently not...